1. I only have to drive 60 miles round trip. While I enjoy the talks in Florida or the meet-and-greets in Detroit, it's kind of nice to stay home all day and then take a leisurely ride around Black Lake, knowing I'll be home again in only a few hours.
2. I'm likely to see people I know. Again, meeting new people is nice, but seeing old friends is nice too (even if I don't remember names as well as I used to!)
3. I'm not the only draw to the library. The Youth Art Fair is going on, so those who attend the talk will get twice the entertainment as they browse the displays before and chuckle at my stories later.
4. I'll have help. Because I'm local, Purple Tree Books owner Emily is going to handle book sales. This means I'm free to talk, which you all know is what I like best.
5. I've got a fun new topic. Choosing Your Next Great Read was a popular topic in Florida, so I'm looking forward to exchanging ideas with local readers about how they wade through the thousands of books released each week and find the ones that speak to them.
6. I have a surprise that I think will please a lot of people. If you want to know what it is, you'll just have to show up on Wednesday.
The reasons you should be thrilled? You can talk about books or listen to the ideas of others. You might win a free book. And if all else fails, you can have a cookie or two.